the other day i was listening to a sermon on sanctification in marriage. i’m not really sure what got me to listen to it since i am no where near getting married, but i’m very glad i did. something that kind of got my attention and has been on my mind ever since is the concept of being a godly woman. proverbs 31 talks about a wife of noble character, but why does it have to be a wife? like, shouldn’t i strive to be all of those things before i get married? and if jesus doesn’t have marriage in his plans for me then i should strive to be everything that proverbs 31 lays out anyway.
so, things i need for jesus to do in me:
- trust. or rather the ability to be trusted.
- to be enriching to the lives around me. not dragging people down, but encouraging them with god’s truth.
- to bring GOOD and not harm. to keep my from stupid arguments that only hurt others.
- to be hardworking, NOT apathetic. with everything i do, i pray that i would work hard and as if everything were for the lord. which it is supposed to be.
- intentional with other people. especially the girls in my life group. always.
- energetic and strong. i don’t want to seem sluggish and as if i don’t care. and strong with the lord’s stregnth.
- caring to the poor and needy. to see them as god’s children. as not just people, but people with SOULS.
- provisional for my family when/if i get married.
- clothed with dignity.
- to LAUGH without WORRY for the future. to put all my hope in the lord and give all my anxieties to him. and this doesn’t mean i can’t be troubled, but knowing that in strife, the lord is sovereign.
- when i speak, to speak wisdom.
- to give instructions with KINDNESS.
- to suffer NOTHING due to laziness.
- to be real with people. not charming and deceptive. but real. that people would see jesus. not me.
and i look at that list and i’m overwhelmed at how much work jesus needs to do in me. but it’s all about the sanctification process and jesus is faithful.